Thursday, August 30, 2007

'Bourne' Again?

I wrote here a few weeks ago about the new Die Hard film, and especially how I felt it represented a disturbing advance in the portrayal of heroes as violent men whose main purpose is to uphold materialism. Among other things, Bruce Willis' character, John McClane, kicks a woman half to death, then drops an SUV on her head for good measure, and we're supposed to applaud. Surprisingly enough, the comments on this blog were mostly critical of what I said – which is of course perfectly fine, given the freedom of discourse that exists on this site. But it was ironic to find that the very point I was making – that we have become inured to violence in the real world by its portrayal on screen – appeared to be borne out by many of the comments.

Continue reading this post on the God's Politics blog by clicking here.

3 comments:

James Edwards said...

Thank you friend, I heard you at Greenbelt. I'm not a huge movie fan but you got me thinking again about what I actually like to see in movies. I hope you don't mind me adding you to my blogroll.

Al Shaw said...

Jason Bourne, by contrast, may be acting out a Christian parable, in my humble opinion.

http://alshaw.blogspot.com/2007/09/bourne-supremacy-christian-parable.html

Matthew Paul Turner said...

thank you for your kathy griffin piece... thank you...